Wednesday, August 15, 2012
A 28 by 28 Update
Back in February when I turned 27 I made a little list of 28 things I wanted to do by my 28th birthday. I honestly haven't thought much about the list except for the few times Chase has begged me to watch a black and white movie (still haven't seen one). Since I just passed the half-way point to my birthday (you bet I keep track of half-birthdays!) I thought I'd give an update and hopefully I'll be inspired to cross off some more!
1. Do a cartwheel - uh, no. I can honestly say I feel less able to do this this than ever.
2. Watch 3 black and white films (I've probably only seen two my entire life!) - I was in the room while Chase watched part of one. Does that count?
3. Sell something I've made - Nope.
4. Go on a real, grown-up vacation - Aw, this is just getting depressing, guys. Not yet, and I don't foresee it happening by February, although we have had some good weekend get aways!
5. Bake a loaf of bread per month - Who am I to think I'll remember to do these things? I did make some killer banana bread last week though.
6. But a dslr and lean how to use it properly - Hoping to get that next month!
7. Run a half marathon - I started running again a few weeks ago, so we'll say "progress" on this one.
8. Fully decorate our house - I made this list before we knew we were moving across the state last April, and this house is definitely more decorated than any of our previous homes.
9. Go to a drive-in movie - Not for lack of trying! They are never playing movies we want to see/haven't already seen. We're still holding out that we'll find a good showing this summer.
10. Spend a weekend at the beach - No beach yet but again, this was made before we moved. Now if we have free time to be on the west side of the state we're bound to do it a bit more inland so we can visit with friends.
11. Only buy quality jewelry (I have a thing for buying cheap jewelry that smells like pennies) - Well, I haven't purchased any jewelry since February, so...success for not falling into the Forever21 trap!
12. Plant a vegetable garden - DONE!
13. Make a piece of art - Nothing yet.
14. Sew an item of clothing I will actually wear - Meh. I can't stand DIY that looks DIY (and my sewing is so no couture) so I'm not sure how this one made the list. Moving on!
15. Make another quilt - I finally dug out my half-finished quilt from last winter and just need to piece it together.
16. Join an city sport league - Technically I was on an Ultimate Frisbee team for one week before we moved. Also, last night we joined a bowling league! (because we're 70 at heart)
17. Read a book each month - So far, so good (Discovery of Witches, The Night Circus, Let's Pretend This Never Happened, Moonwalking with Einstein, The Quiet Power of Introverts). I hope to do a post of reviews soon.
18. Learn how to change a tire - When this happened I remember watching Chase put on the spare and made some snarky comments, but I don't know if I'd call it "learning".
19. Make beef bourginon - This will be good one for the fall.
20. Find my signature drink - No specific drink perse, but I have been more adventurous when choosing drinks and expanding horizons is what this whole list is about, right?
21. Sort through and sell my inherited record collection - It's so big. And heavy.
22. Not cut my hair above my shoulders (I have a problem keeping it long) - It's still growing, slowly but surely. Huzzah!
23. Handmake all Christmas presents - I should probably start this one about now...
24. Launch a fun series on Ever So Emily - My favorites are Currently and On Repeat.
25. Get a professional massage - Not yet.
26. Start a photo series - Waiting on #6
27. Organize all photos and make books and albums. - I organized them a bit when we moved, but I still have a lot of progress to make here.
28. Memorize my favorite recipes - I love that this one is so vague.